This stew is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G !!!!! I read the ingredient list and and it sounded yummy but I had no idea how wonderful the flavor would be. The original recipe does not include the fennel, sun-dried tomtoes or the veggies. It just had the beans and the swiss chard. I had the leftover vegetables, threw them and it was the most hearty vegetarian stew I have ever made. PLEASE TRY IT THIS FALL !!!!!!!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 5 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 14-ounce cans vegetable broth
- 1 large bunch or 2 small bunches Swiss chard, tough stalks removed, coarsely chopped (about 12 cups)
- 1 chopped zucchini or summer squash
- 1 bulb of fennel sliced
- 1 pound red lentils (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add onion and fennel, sauté until golden, about 13 minutes. Mix in curry and cayenne.
Add vegetables and sun dried tomatoes and sauté for a few more minutes till the vegetables are soft.
Add broth and chard. Increase heat; bring to boil. Add lentils and garbanzos; reduce heat to medium.
Cover; simmer until lentils are tender, stirring twice, about 10 minutes.