- 2 celery stalks, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 3 carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into 1-inch wedges (root end eft intact)
- 1/2 pound small red potatoes, halved if over 21/2 inches long
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 1 beef brisket (about 3 pounds)
- McCormick’s Pickling spice–about 4tbsp.
- 1/2 head Savoy cabbage or 3/4 head common green cabbage, cut into 1 1/2-inch wedges
- For serving: whole grain mustard
1. In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, place celery, carrots, onion, potatoes and thyme. Place corned beef, fat side up, on top of vegetables and sprinkle with pickling spice; add enough water to cover meat (4 to 6 cups).
2. Cover and cook on high until corned beef is tender, 41/4 hours (or 81/2 hours on low).
3. Arrange cabbage over corned beef, cover and continue cooking until cabbage is tender, about 45 minutes (or 11/2 hours on low). Thinly slice corned beef against the grain and serve with vegetables and cooking liquid. Serve whole grain mustard as an optional condiment.