You were warned….this is not a you Chesapeake Bay jumbo lump crab cakes that you die for the moment you land in Maryland. Ok, maybe not everyone has an obsession with crab cakes (well really fish cakes in general). This is the poor grad student version of an american classic. Hope you enjoy it.
2 cans of crab meat
1 medium egg
1 medium onion chopped
1 Tbsp of Lemon pepper, parsley, hot sauce and worcestershire sauce ( yes 1Tbsp of each)
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper to taste.
1. Drain the crab meat and set aside in a bowl
2. Chopped onions to desired size, I like them a little big for this recipe, it adds to the “lump” texture of a crab cake.
3. Add all the ingredients to the crab and mix thoroughly.
4. Use a 1/2 cup measure to portion out 4 cakes. At this step I put them on a wax paper lined tray and freeze them for later.
5. Heat oil in a skillet and fry till golden brown. Should you choose, you can dip them in egg, flour and breadcrumbs again and fry them –I don’t like the extra coating. I also spray them with cooking oil and bake them at 350F for about 20 mins till cooked through.
6. I had these with some roasted relish. I hope you like them.